Climate controlled storage near you
Find and reserve storage units with climate control
Find Climate Controlled Self-Storage Units Near You with SelfStorage.com
Climate-controlled storage, or "Temperature Controlled Storage" is an amenity many storage facilities offer. Climate control regulates a storage unit's indoor temperature between 50 to 80 degrees fahrenheit and maintains a constant humidity level year-round.
Do I need climate control?
Climate control is always a safe bet when renting self-storage. Because climate-controlled storage units cost more than traditional storage units, it’s best to determine whether or not you truly need climate control before shelling out the extra bucks.
Climate-controlled storage is recommended if you are:
- Storing in an area prone to extreme drops or rises in temperature. (For example, climate control may not be as urgent in California as it would be in Texas.)
- Storing for a long period of time.
- Storing extremely valuable or climate-sensitive items.
- Planning to visit your storage unit frequently. Having climate-controlled storage would make your visit much more comfortable during the summer and winter months.
Climate-sensitive items include:
- Media and electronics: Climate control will protect against humidity that could damage internal components.
- Valuable apparel: Highly recommended if you’re storing wedding dresses, vintage clothing, designer items, etc.
- Wood or leather furniture: Most furniture has some organic material on it, making it prime breeding ground for mold and mildew. Climate control will protect against both long-term damage and unpleasant odors.
- Books: The top priority here is keeping your books dry. If you live in a humid area, get climate control to protect against mold and mildew.
- Wine: Many storage facilities offer storage lockers specifically catered to optimal wine storage.
- Musical instruments: An absolute must for keeping your instruments in playable condition.
- Glass, metal and plastics: Climate control will protect your items from warping, melting and discoloring.
What's the difference between "air conditioned storage units", heated storage units and climate-controlled units?
- Climate-controlled storage unit: Your storage unit is kept within specific temperature ranges.
- Air conditioned or heated storage unit: Cold or hot air is blown into the facility and/or unit.
Specific temperature ranges for climate control and air conditioned/heated storage units may vary by facility, so always clarify with your store manager beforehand.
SelfStorage.com makes it easy for you to quickly find and reserve a climate-controlled storage unit.
- Type in the zip code or city where you need self-storage to view available self-storage units near you.
- Click "Amenities" in the top navigation bar.
- Select "Climate Controlled" to view all storage facilities with climate-controlled storage units.